The fellowship will be based at the Amsterdam Medical Centre, where the candidate will be supervised by Professor Willem Bemelman, a world expert in minimally invasive surgery. It is envisaged that the trainee would spend at least 12 weeks focusing on advanced laparoscopic colorectal surgery.
This fellowship is specifically suited to applicants currently in a colorectal fellowship training program or with acknowledged interest and expertise in colorectal surgery. The candidates is encouraged to participate in a research project during the duration of their stay. The language is Dutch, but English is widely spoken. Whilst reading notes and reports is straightforward, it may still be difficult to follow conversations. It is therefore helpful that the candidate be fluent in Afrikaans. The candidate will be joining one of the foremost departments in Europe and will be expected to be a conscientious and impressive representative of South African surgery.
The sponsorship covers costs of travel and accommodation whilst in Amsterdam. Regular feedback will be required from both the fellow and Prof Bemelman to ensure continuation of funding throughout the duration of the fellowship. Successful candidates will be expected to provide feedback on their trip in the form of a comprehensive report to be posted on the SASES webpage and a presentation to be delivered at the next SASES congress.
- SASES member, registered as a General Surgeon in South Africa (HPCSA), currently in a Colorectal Surgery fellowship programme or recently completed the Certificate in Gastroenterology of the College of Surgeons of South Africa.
- Must have completed the laparoscopic suturing skills course approved by SASES, or have done so before departure.
- Must be willing to travel for a period of 3 months.Knowledge of Afrikaans helpful.
- Previous clinical exposure: Colorectal surgery
- Motivation letter
- Detailed proposal, including cost estimates of the intended visit
- Updated CV
- Summary of laparoscopic experience
- Names of 2 referees, letter from HOD if applicable