The Hernia Interest Group of South Africa (HIG) is a group of surgeons with a strong interest in hernia care.
We are dedicated to teaching, training, research and the development of management guidelines.
We aim to provide an unbiased source of hernia repair information for surgeons, general practitioners, other healthcare professionals, patients, their families and the healthcare industry.
- Develop guidelines for hernia management in the South African environment.
- Develop a national training program for trainers and trainees for open and laparoscopic hernia repair.
- Investigate starting a national data base or registry.
- Help identify locally relevant research questions and facilitate research.
- Establish a close working relationship with all role players
- Cooperation in educational endeavours with groups of similar interest throughout Africa and beyond.