The visiting fellow will be attending the University Hospital in Leuven Belgium, where he/ she will be working in the department of Abdominal Surgery under the supervision of Professor Andre D’Hoore.
The hospital has 42 operating theatres with 100 ICU beds available. The abdominal unit has 19 elective theatre slates per week, and performs close to 5000 surgical procedures per annum with roughly 40% of them being done laparoscopically. The spectrum of surgery covers all major groups of general surgical disciplines (upper GI, colorectal, bariatric, endometriosis, abdominal wall surgery etc.)
The fellow will attend for a period of 3 months duration. Prof D’Hoore will personally oversee the integration and involvement of the fellow within the unit. There will be an opportunity to become involved in a local research project. The language is Flemish, which is closer to Afrikaans than Dutch. Whilst reading notes and reports is straightforward, it may still be difficult to follow conversations. It is therefore a requirement that the candidate be fluent in Afrikaans. The candidate will be joining one of the foremost departments in Europe and will be expected to be a conscientious and impressive representative of South African surgery.
The sponsorship covers costs of travel and accommodation whilst in Belgium.
Applicants will be required to enter into a contractual agreement with Ethicon endosurgery for the duration of the fellowship. Regular feedback will be required from both the fellow and Prof D’Hoore to ensure continuation of funding throughout the duration of the fellowship. The successful applicant will be expected to provide a written report about the fellowship, and a presentation at the next SASES congress.
- Online Application by deadline date of submission.
- SASES member (paid up).
- Current registration as a General Surgeon with the Health Professions Council (HPCSA) in South Africa.
- Must be willing to travel within the same year, for a period of 3 months.
- Knowledge of Afrikaans helpful.
- Clinical exposure: wide range of laparoscopic procedures, with HPB & colorectal slant
- Motivation letter.
- Detailed proposal, with intended dates of travel.
- Updated CV.
- Names of 2 referees; letter from HOD if applicable.
- Summary of laparoscopic experience.