The fellowship will be based at Södertälje hospital which is affiliated to the Karolinska Institute, Sweden where the candidate will be supervised by Professor Sven Bringman, world expert in minimally invasive surgery.
It is envisaged that the trainee would spend four weeks focusing on advanced laparoscopic and open hernia surgery.
The fellowship is intended for a qualified general surgeon who intends to further his/her surgical skills. Surgeons in private practice or in a general surgical position in state or academic hospital are encouraged to apply.
The candidate will be expected to be a conscientious and impressive representative of South African surgery.
The successful candidate will attend ward rounds, clinics and scrub and assist in theatre under the supervision of Prof Bringman.
The sponsorship entails covering the costs of travel and accommodation for the duration of the Fellowship. There may be some personal costs incurred by the successful recipient.
Feedback will be required from both the recipient and Prof Bringman to ensure continuation of funding throughout the duration of the fellowship.
SASES expects the successful candidate to provide feedback on their trip in the form of a comprehensive report to be posted on the SASES webpage and a short presentation to be delivered at the next SASES congress.
Online application by deadline date.
- SASES member (paid up).
- Current registration as a General Surgeon with the Health Professions Council (HPCSA) in South Africa.
- Working in South Africa.
- Must be willing to travel for a period of 4 weeks during the current year.
- Clinical exposure: wide range of laparoscopic procedures.
Your submission will require:
- Motivation letter,
- Detailed proposal, with intended dates of travel,
- Updated CV
- Names of 2 referees; letter from HOD if applicable
- Summary of laparoscopic experience